24/10/2014

'Short-trippin' through Scotland: Glasgow

I've just returned from my 4-day short trip to Scotland. Me and my friend went to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Inverness. This and the next two posts are going to be about how we got there, where we stayed and what we did. Including loads of beautiful pictures of course so look forward that.

My friend in Glasgow
Our first stop in Scotland was Glasgow. The bus only cost us 10£ each. Megabus is probably the cheapest option for travelling in the UK. I would highly recommend it to everyone travelling on a budget though it's definitely not the most comfortable bus. (Actually we haven't slept at all during our journey to Glasgow but well..) 
So we arrived in Glasgow at 7 in the morning and immediately went to have breakfast at "No 1 Chocolate Factory" because we had to wait for someone to open our Hostel. 
We stayed at the Bluesky Hostel in Berkeley Street which is 20 minutes away from the bus station but quite central to the city centre. We had booked our beds in the 20 dorm room. 
I've never stayed at a Hostel before and was a little suspicious but it turned out to be very chill and comfy! Our beds were great, we had neat bedding and everything was tidy including the bathroom and shower. 

Check-in time is 2pm which is why we just left our luggage at the Hostel and went on to explorer Glasgow. 
Unfortunately it had been raining all day but we didn't really care about that after a while.
If you're going to Glasgow I would recommend you to do a guided tour at the City Chambers. Because a) they are FREE! and b) there is a tour twice everyday from Monday to Friday at 10.30am and 2.30pm. I'm afraid I can't speak from experience as we've been to Glasgow on a Sunday but it's said to be really beautiful. (Maybe someone who has done that tour can share their experience? :D)

City Chambers
At 11am we could finally enter the Gallery of Modern Art. A really small gallery to be honest but just as nice. We kind of lost ourselves in their little library downstairs but then continued with some selfies in front of the Duke of Wellington statue who is funnily wearing a cone on its head which someone always replaces when it's removed. That's why they actually stopped removing the cone. Haha!




We continued to 'The Barras' which weren't as exciting as we thought they would be but the People's Palace was just nearby and we visited their Winter Garden and museum.

The People's Palace


But by far my favourite place in Glasgow has to be the Glasgow Necropolis just by the Cathedral. The cemetery lies on a quite high hill which allows you to look all over Glasgow. The view is amazing.
And wind was blowing really strong. You could almost lean against it!




Glasgow Cathedral
We finished our day with some nice food at 'Chilli Grill'(which is very similar to Nandos, haha) and even saw a rainbow as the sky finally cleared up a little..




P.S.: Sadly I'm returning from London this Saturday but I still have a lot to post about London. So those posts will continue throughout the next week. (Prepare for a lot of posts!). The subsequent week will be general posts about London. My experiences and tips for shopping/eating/exploring. Perfect if you're planning to visit London. In the beginning of November I'll continue my journey with my two friends to Asia. Exciting things to happen. I'm looking forward blogging about it!


7 comments:

  1. heyy, I've tagged you on the Liebster award tag because I love your blog :)

    here's the post on what to do, can't wait to read it xx

    http://annaboho.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/tags-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning photographs! I really like your blog :D

    VioletDaffodils
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That rainbow is amazing!! I am going to Scotland at the end of this year so looking forward to reading your future posts for inspiration on things to do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rainbow was such a surprise and I hadn't seen one in so long until then! xx

      Delete
  4. I just quickly have to mention that I love Edinburgh, it's probably one of the most beautiful cities I've been to (and they also had a statue with a cone on its head when I was there). Reading this I think I'll have to go to Glasgow, too, though. Looks absolutely amazing!

    darjeelingtealeaves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Edinburgh is absolutely amazing. Such stunning architecture. :) xx

      Delete